You may be surprised to see how quickly you can learn how to change your habits -- if you really WANT to. Sleep, smoking, nail biting and eating habits can all be changed using this NLP mind power technique.
In the field of neuro-linguistic programming, or NLP for short, people are often amazed that results can happen so quickly. In fact, some people are downright skeptical that habits or fears can be erased so easily, often in just one session.
One friend of mine told me about his experience with NLP, how he used this one LITTLE technique and – in 25 SECONDS – stopped an adult nail biting habit that had frustrated him for 17 YEARS.
I’ve had clients of mine and seminar attendees overcome habits like smoking, procrastination, even sales call reluctance, in minutes, even when they’ve had these habits all their adult lives.
If you are serious about learning how to change your habits, this NLP mind power technique combined with the other recommendations I make in my article on habit management, will give you all the mind tools you need to be successful in the long run as well.
How is this even POSSIBLE, you may wonder.
Getting free from stubborn daily habits in minutes?
One of the fundamental things about this mind power technique -- what makes it work so well in learning how to change your habits -- is that you step out of yourself and see yourself as you’d LIKE to be -- from an observer position (as described in this emotional flexibility exercise.)
That might sound simple, and you may say, ‘well, what’s the big deal?’ “so what – so you ‘step out’ and see yourself the way you want to be. How does that change anything?’ But when you DO THIS technique in a very specific way, a very DELIBERATE way, you can make that image -- that mental picture of you – SO compelling that it ATTRACTS you, and you become drawn like a magnet away from OLD habits and INTO a NEW identity as the KIND OF PERSON who is free from that old habit.
In other words, you BECOME the kind of person YOU want to be in your future, starting NOW.
The process works well because you’re able to DISSOCIATE and SEE YOURSELF in your imagination in a new and compelling way from an observer’s point of view.
There is power and magic in that little process, and I will show you how to use it.
The keys to this NLP mind power technique, developed by Richard Bandler, one of the original founders of NLP, are imagination, visualization and repetition. Do all the steps....
Because your unconscious mind does not know what is real and what is imaginary, a new habit can be formed by mental rehearsal and repetition. In fact most great athletes and entertainers use mental rehearsal to improve their performance. Mental rehearsal is key to learning how to change your habits without needing to physically repeat the new pattern over and over again.
In the following process that new behavior becomes associated with a specific cue or trigger.
The cue could be an object, such as a telephone, a thought or a feeling.
By repeatedly associating the cue with the new feeling or behavior, you’ll create a habitual response that will be triggered whenever the cue or anchor is present.
1. Identify an unwanted behavior, feeling and/or attitude you want to change.
2. What specific cue is always there prior to the unwanted behavior? It could be an object, a symbol or a voice inside your head.
3. See an image of the cue that is there just before the unwanted behavior and set that image aside for a moment.
4. How would you look already having a new behavior? As you create a large, bright colorful image of yourself already having this new behavior, you will find that picture of yourself very appealing. Because you notice the posture of that “other you,” you can see that the behavior has changed. When you look into the other you’s face, you can see a sparkle in his/her eyes and a relaxed smile on his/her face. You know the other you feels really good about the change because you can hear his/her internal dialog. What is he/she saying?
5. Notice how attractive and pleasing that other you is. You may not know if you would like to become that other you, yet-- the appealing one over there.
6. Does any part of you object to this image? If yes, modify the image until it is appealing to you in such way that it resolves your objections.
7. Shrink that image. Make it smaller and smaller until it is a tiny dot.
8. Place that dot containing the other you that already has the new behavior in the center of the cue image you established earlier (Step 2)
9. Now rapidly exchange the two images, the cue image and the dot.
10. The cue image loses color and shrinks into the distance until it disappears. The new you blossoms out right in front of you, closer, bigger, brighter, filling your vision. Ssswwwwwoooooosh.
11. Now blank out the scene. There is static fuzz on the screen now.
12. Repeat the process faster. In the cue image of what you see just before the unwanted behavior, notice the dot that is the new you. And Swwwwoooooooosh. The dot expands and the new you is right in front of you, bright and alive, as the cue image disappears.
13. Blank screen.
14. Now again. Faster. You see the cue and the small dot with the new you inside. Ssswwwoooshhhhh. The image of the new you is bright and alive.
15. Can you say your phone number backward?
16. Now again. Faster. See the cue. Sssswwoooosh.
17. Fuzz balls on the screen.
18. Again. See the cue. Ssswooosh
19. Can you spell your name backward?
20. Again, faster. See the cue. Swoosh.
21. Blank the screen.
22. Cue. Swooosh.
23. Blank screen.
Repeat the last two steps 5 more times, faster. And then another 5 times, even faster.
If you want to change your sleeping habit, perhaps to get yourself to fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow, you can use the sensation of your head on the pillow as the cue -- or turning off the light. The image of yourself might be a more vibrant, healthier, attractive, energetic you> More on sleep techniques here.
The mind power technique described above is the exact technique my friend used that was his nail biting cure. For the cue, you need to pay close attention to what is always there right before you bite your nails. Everyone is a bit different. For some it is a feeling in their stomach, others may have a thought, some may look at their fingers. Whatever it is for you is fine. There is no right or wrong.
Pay attention and go with whatever your first impression is. Don't second guess yourself. The new image of yourself will be someone with more confidence, beautiful hands, a smiling face and a happy relaxed way of being.
Habit Management: Change Bad Habits for GOOD
Free GUIDED Self Hypnosis audio when you register for our newsletter.
Get the latest, greatest tools for easing into your power and making the most out of life by subscribing to our monthly e-zine:
"I lost 104 lbs and 69.75 inches in 9 months after taking Mandy’s program." -- Jeyla Kimball, Hollywood, FL
"Mandy’s workshop helped me on every level of my LIFE, professional, financial, personal & spiritual . . . I am grateful!" -- Raul, Duarte, Miami, FL
"I now have a measure of internal calm and peacefulness I did not have before." -- Ellen Siegel, CLU CHFC, CFP, Miami, FL
"Mandy offers an intelligent, yet caring approach to helping people. Her programs are excellent ." -- Jill Beach, National Director of Media Relations,
VITAS Healthcare Corporation
"As a psychotherapist with a lucrative practice for many years I realized
I was unfulfilled and unhappy…I was stuck. In working with Mandy I made more progress in a few months than years of psychotherapy
and training. "--Shelley Eisenberg, Psychotherapist, New York, NY
"Over the years, I have attended many self-improvement seminars hosted by famous motivational leaders. I have spent a small fortune on all sorts of books and tapes and NONE have given me what you have…I really wanted to feel whole, confident, balanced, happy. You taught me the basic skills necessary to finally achieve what I wanted for myself." -- Kathy Poulin, Pompano Beach, FL
"The program was awesome, and
the new habits have already started
taking roots, and all I'm doing is
-- Elsie Salinardi, CPA, CFP,
"The key reward has been the
rekindling of my self-confidence"
Gary Harrison, Insurance Specialist,
Boca Raton, FL
"The [mind power techniques] really made me
reach deep within myself and realize
what limitations we put on ourselves.
Thanks to Mandy we now
have techniques we can use to go
beyond our previous limits. "
Veena Deddar, CFP CLU CHFC,
London Life, Toronto, Canada
"I’ve noticed that I am more organized
than I have ever been in my
life. I seem to have so much extra
time that I didn’t have before
thanks to the organizational
process that she teaches.
Because my professional life is so much more organized, I have so
more time to spend with my family"
Marilyn Blosser, CSA, LUTCF.
President, Women in Insurance
& Financial Services
"I am a thirty-five-year veteran of the scale wars, and this is the only program I know of that addresses ALL the issues of weight management. Working through the program has given me new insights into the root causes of my weight issues and new tools to deal with them. Whether you have suffered with eating disorders your whole life or you just want to speed up your metabolism and take off a few extra pounds, this program can really really help you." -- Angela Kelsey
Discover The Easiest, Smartest Solution For Losing Weight, And Keeping It Off For Good!
Discover how much better life can be when you put the power of your own mind to work for you.
You can improve any skill, get motivated, build confidence, improve self-esteem and even change limiting beliefs.